Are you self-conscious about cellulite on your abdomen, buttocks, or thighs? While cellulite isn’t harmful in a medical sense, it can detract from your appearance and reduce your confidence. Keep reading to learn more about cellulite.
What is cellulite?
Cellulite describes the uneven dimples and lumps on skin caused by fat pushing up against connective tissue. It is usually found on the abdomen, thighs, hips, and buttocks.
Who is susceptible to cellulite?
The following people are more likely to develop cellulite:
- Women: Although cellulite can occur in men it is significantly more common in women because women usually have more fat on their hips, thighs, buttocks, and abdomen.
- Older people: The body is constantly changing and many of the changes that come with age can increase your chances for developing cellulite. When women get older, they produce less estrogen, their collagen levels drop, and circulation throughout the body becomes weaker. All these factors and more can contribute to the development of cellulite.
- People with a family history of cellulite: Cellulite is partially a genetic condition, so if your mother or grandmother had cellulite, you’re much more likely to have it yourself.
- Smokers: Smoking is bad for your body and your skin. Smoking weakens your circulation system and disrupts the formation of collagen which can make cellulite more noticeable.
How can you reduce the appearance of cellulite?
While you can’t always prevent the development of cellulite, there are steps you can take to reduce the appearance of cellulite and tighten your skin. Some options include:
- Losing weight: Thin people can still develop cellulite, but being overweight makes it more cellulite more prominent because having more fat results in more stress on connective tissue in skin.
- Exercise: Exercising can help you lose weight, but it also strengthens muscles and improves flexibility. Strength training and muscle building can improve tone throughout your body and result in tighter smoother skin. Yoga, pilates, and weight lifting are all good exercises for people who want to reduce the appearance of cellulite.
- VellaShape III cosmetic treatments: While it is important to exercise and maintain a healthy weight, it isn’t always enough. VellaShape is a non-invasive treatment that uses radiofrequency, infrared, vacuum, and massage to smooth the skin, temporarily reduce the appearance of cellulite, and improve the overall appearance of your body. Contact Dr. Sabini to learn more.
Posted On November 15, 2015