Should You Consider Rhinoplasty?
October 15, 2015
Rhinoplasty can improve your appearance and your everyday life—but it isn’t for everyone. Here’s what you should know if you’re considering the procedure:
Who is a good candidate for rhinoplasty?
To determine whether or not you should consider rhinoplasty, ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you feel like your nose is out of proportion to the rest of your face?
- Are your nostrils more prominent than you’re comfortable with?
- Do you get frequent nosebleeds?
- Do you have trouble breathing while you exercise?
- Do you snore?
- Is your nose much larger than normal?
- Does your nose have a strange bump that makes you self-conscious?
- Is your nose crooked from being broken in the past?
- Are you unhappy with the appearance of your nose?
- Do you feel that rhinoplasty would improve your appearance and your health?
If you answered yes to some of the above questions, rhinoplasty may be a good option for you. Good candidates for the procedure are healthy, non-smokers, who are done growing.
What is the procedure like?
Rhinoplasty is usually performed under general anesthesia or intravenous sedation. It is an outpatient procedure and most patients return home the day of the procedure.
During the surgery, the doctor will lift the soft tissues that cover the nose and then sculpt the bone and cartilage to improve the shape. In some cases cartilage is removed and in other cases it will be taken from another area to augment the nose. If the patient has a deviated septum that interferes with breathing, the doctor will adjust the inner structures to open up the nasal passages and improve breathing. If your nostrils are being reshaped, this is usually does last.
What can you expect from the recovery process?
Most patients feel better within two days of the surgery and return to work about a week later. There will likely be some swelling, bleeding, and bruising after the procedure, but it will improve over time. Your doctor can give you instructions for making your recovery as smooth as possible.
If you are interested in rhinoplasty, schedule a consultation with Dr. Sabini.